Sunday, February 22, 2009

Peanut Butter Dog Treats


My Springer Spaniel, Cocoa, turned 3 years old on Thursday. To celebrate the happy day, we baked some super yummy peanut butter cookies (for dogs) and equally yummy chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and sprinkles (for people). That is unless you leave the cupcakes too close to the edge of the counter and your very smart pooch takes her very long tounge and swipes the frosting and sprinkles. I guess if it's your birthday then your allowed some frosting! I was just glad she didn't eat the chocolate part.



You can make these dog treats for your favorite canine friend by following this easy recipe that I got from my friend and fellow dog mom, Robbi.


Peanut Butter Dog Treats

1 cup Peanut Butter

1 cup Milk

1 cup Whole Wheat Flour

1 cup All Purpose Flour

1 tablespoon Baking Powder

1/2 cup Sugar (optional)


Mix Peanut Butter and Milk until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Form dough into grape sized balls. (Here's the optional part: roll balls of dough in Sugar.) Place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly with fork. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.


This recipe makes A LOT of little cookies, which is good if you have a treat hound like Cocoa, not so good if you get tired of rolling out grape sized balls of dough by hand. (Just remember how much you love your birthday pooch and how happy she will be to eat them.) Also note that I only had a 1/2 cup of Whole Wheat Flour left so I substituted the remaining 1/2 cup with All Purpose Flour. It still works.


I will tell you that Mr. Hively came home from work while the delicious aroma of Peanut Butter Cookies wafted through the air and he was quite disappointed to learn that the cookies were not for him.


Here is the birthday girl doing her best 'beg' for a tasty Peanut Butter Treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment